About Me

My photo
I am a 2012 Naturopathic Doctoral Candidate at National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR. I am excited to share and exchange knowledge about health and wellness on my journey to becoming a Naturopathic Doctor.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Water Fasting: Crazy or Cleansing?

Last week, I began a 21 day Elimination Diet. This diet excludes foods that are considered to be the most inflammatory and allergic, including corn, soy, wheat, any gluten containing grains, dairy products, eggs, peanuts, night shade vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers), sugar, coffee, alcohol, any condiments that contain sugar, high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated vegetable oils or preservatives. The goal of completing a diet such as this is to allow the body to process all of these foods and excrete them from the body, which takes about 21 days. After this time, one food at a time is introduced slowly to determine if you react to the food or not. Reactions to foods span many different systems, from gastrointestinal discomfort, to skin eruptions, to mood changes. As a part of my personal Elimination Diet, I also added a 2 day Water fast to further my detoxification. I am completing my cleanse and water fast under the care of a qualified and licensed Naturopathic Doctor, as should anyone who is attempting to complete an Elimination Diet and water fast. I found I was able to complete the water fast relatively "pain free" as I had one week to prepare my body in terms of eliminating inflammatory and allergic foods. I also allowed myself more time to rest, digest, and including saunas as a part of my cleansing. Not everyone is in a state of health, or will ever be in a state of health conducive to water fasting. Working with a Naturopathic Doctor, however, can help you to determine your safe level of cleansing, whether it be beginning with removing a few foods commonly known to be problematic for many people, to a supervised water fast. I highly recommend Dr. Amy Johnson and her clinic, Blue House Holistic Health (www.bluehousehealth.com) where I am currently completing her 5 week Elimination Diet. Feel free to explore her clinic and links available, and please work with a licensed Naturopathic Doctor should you decide cleansing and fasting is a part of your journey to health.

No comments:

Post a Comment